Chocolate can be good for you!
We had a great weekend chatting to people about chocolate at the market. It was interesting to see so many people 'resisting the urge' to try our chocolate because of their belief that chocolate is in some way bad for them. But the truth is that chocolate can be good for you! Hurrah! Obviously this statement is purely based on the superior quality 70% chocolate that we use in all of our products as we know exactly what goes into it and we cannot be held accountable for the healthiness of other chocolate products :)
So what are the benefits of a regular square of high quality 70% chocolate or two per day? The following are statements made based purely on internet research. There are quite a few other supposed benefits but these seem to be the most commonly cited:
- Chocolate is high in antioxidants
- Chocolate is rich in minerals such as Fibre, Iron and Magnesium
- Chocolate reduces the risk of heart disease
- Chocolate can help people to deal with stress and anxiety
- Chocolate is good for the brain
- The flavonols in dark chocolate can protect the skin against sun damage, although you would have to eat way too much to protect your skin fully (especially with NZ sun so you better still slip slop slap and wrap!)
- Chocolate contains phenylethylamine (PEA), which is the same chemical that your brain creates when you fall in love, otherwise known as feel-good endorphins. Great as a romance inducer!
We're not saying load up on huge amounts of chocolate every day. We believe in everything in moderation. Except certain things, like fizzy drinks. These should just be banned! At the end of the day, chocolate is the ultimate comfort food and we take great comfort in knowing that our chocolate puts a smile on people's faces. We see it as good for the soul, and much more than that when we know it has come from fair trade sustainable sources like ours. The raw cacao starts it's journey by being cared for by trained farmers who are fairly paid and rewarded. And then the skillful chocolatier has put time and care into making something that is truly delicious and beautiful, because they love what they do. Yes I'm talking about our Nico.
Have a square or two of our chocolate after dinner and savour them. Or as a little afternoon pick me up to keep you going til home time, and best of all don't feel bad about it!